Connect with our team
(416) 923-0924, ext. 226
Prepare for career success with the HSBC Youth Opportunity Fund
The HSBC Youth Opportunity Fund provides individual grants to current and former Crown Wards for courses, programs, and other activities that will assist them in securing employment and achieving success in their careers.
Who can access support through the HSBC Youth Opportunity Fund?
To be eligible for funding you must meet the following criteria:
- Current or former Crown Ward.
- Applications from youth served by a child welfare agency in the Greater Toronto Area are encouraged.
- Under 26 years of age. Applications from youth under 30 will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Able to demonstrate that the course or program you are enrolled in is directly relevant to and will assist you in pursuing a realistic career goal.
- Able to demonstrate that no other funding sources are available for your program.
What courses or programs does this funding cover?
- Tutoring for college or university.
- Vocational assessments or career counselling (applicants must be referred by a child protection worker).
- Short-term courses or apprenticeships related to your career goals.
- Application fees or preparation courses for graduate programs (master’s programs, law school, medical school, etc.).
- High school upgrading or academic bridging programs.
- Secondary to post-secondary transitional programs.
- Other programs that will help you achieve your career and academic goals.
Application checklist for career and academic funding
To apply for support from the HSBC Youth Opportunity Fund, you must submit the following documents:
- Online application form.
- Online child protection worker reference (only for applicants who have not previously received a scholarship or bursary from the Foundation).
- Up-to-date resume (optional).
- Recent transcript (optional).
- Supporting documentation that describes the program, course, or activity for which you are requesting support, such as an information sheet or website (if applicable).
- For vocational assessments or tutoring only: Reference from person supplying the service, including an estimated cost.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.