Career and Academic Funding
The HSBC Youth Opportunity Fund provides individual grants to current and former Crown Wards for activities that will assist them achieve success in their career. Grant amounts are assessed on a case by case basis with the aim of supporting as many youth as possible to pursue opportunities that will further their careers.
Who can access the HSBC Youth Opportunity Funding?
To be eligible for funding you must meet the following criteria:
- A current or former Crown ward
- Under 26 years of age; applications from youth under 30 will be considered on a case by case basis
- Able to demonstrate that the course or program you are enrolled in is directly relevant to and will assist you in pursuing a realistic career goal
- Able to demonstrate that no other funding sources are available for your program
What programs does this funding cover?
- Tutoring for college or university.
- Vocational assessments or career counseling. (*applicants must be referred by a child protection worker)
- Short-term courses or apprenticeships related to your career goals.
- Application fees or preparation courses for graduate programs (Masters, law school, medical school, etc.).
- High school upgrading or academic bridging programs.
- Secondary to post-secondary transitional programs.
- Other programs that will help you achieve your career and academic goals.
Unsure if your program falls under these categories?
Connect with our team
(416) 923 0924 ext. 246
Application Checklist for Career and Academic Funding
To apply, you must submit the following documents:
- Online application form
- A confirmation of care letter emailed to Jasmine Yiweza (only for applicants who have not previously received a scholarship or bursary from the Foundation)
- Up to date resume (optional)
- Recent transcript (optional)
- Supporting documentation that describes the program, course or activity for which you are requesting support, such as an information sheet or website (if applicable)
- For vocational assessments or tutoring only: Reference from person supplying the service, including an estimated cost
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
For more information about our scholarships, bursaries, and awards, please email us at [email protected]