The HSBC Bank Canada National Transformation Project provides monetary HSBC Bank Canada Opportunity Awards, bursaries and additional supports to young people facing vulnerable situations in Canada in support of a range of specific education-related needs and resources.
Career and Academic Funding
Prepare for career success with the HSBC Youth Opportunity Fund
The HSBC Youth Opportunity Fund provides individual grants to youth who were in permanent care in Canada or who are (or were) eligible for their provincial or territorial extended care program. Grants can be used for courses, programs, and other activities that will assist them in securing employment and achieving success in their careers.
Who can access support through the HSBC Youth Opportunity Fund?
To be eligible for funding you must meet the following criteria:
- Have been or will be in the temporary or permanent care of the Ministry or Department responsible for child protection services up until your age of majority birthday or had been in permanent care of the Ministry or Department responsible for child protection services for at least 12 months. More Details.
- Able to demonstrate that the course, item, or program that you need funding for is directly relevant to and will assist you in pursuing a realistic career goal.
- Able to demonstrate that no other funding sources are available for your program.
What courses or programs does this funding cover?
- Tutoring for college or university.
- Vocational assessments or career counselling (applicants must be referred by a child protection worker).
- Short-term courses or apprenticeships related to your career goals.
- Application fees or preparation courses for graduate programs (master’s programs, law school, medical school, etc.).
- High school upgrading or academic bridging programs.
- Secondary to post-secondary transitional programs.
- Other programs that will help you achieve your career and academic goals.
Application checklist for career and academic funding
To apply for support from the HSBC Youth Opportunity Fund, you must submit the following documents:
- Online application form.
- A Confirmation of Care Letter emailed to Jasmine Yiweza [email protected] (first time applicants only).
- Up-to-date resume (optional).
- Recent transcript (optional).
- Supporting documentation that describes the program, course, or activity for which you are requesting support, such as an information sheet or website (if applicable).
- For vocational assessments or tutoring only: Reference from person supplying the service, including an estimated cost.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Connect with our team
(416) 923 0924 ext. 246
For more information about our scholarships, bursaries, and awards, please email us at [email protected].